Superhero syndrome is a phrased coined by Chris Ducker, author of the recently released book, “Virtual Freedom“. Today I will be discussing what it is and how you can cure yourself of this ailment while at the same time building a law practice that works for you.
Right click here to download the mp3
Items Mentioned in the Podcast
- Virtual Freedom, by Chris Ducker
- The E-Myth Revisited, by Michael Gerber
In this particular episode, you will learn:
All about the “Superhero Syndrome”, what it is, how you know if you have it, and what you can do to cure yourself. Specifically, we will discuss:
- What the Superhero Syndrome is, and how it can keep you back from reaching your full potential as a law firm owner.
- The warning signs that you might have the Superhero Syndrome.
- The importance of taking stock of where you are and where you want to be with your law firm.
- The different roles that you will assume when you start a law practice.
- What the E-Myth is and how it applies to your practice.
- What systems are and why you need to build them into your practice.
- The four important systems that you must have in place for your law firm.
- How to develop systems that will allow you to replace yourself in your practice.
- The “3 Lists to Freedom” exercise and how this one tool save you time.
- Where you need to look for help in your law practice.
Resources and Tools
Here is a list of resources and tools that you can implement into your law practice.
Finding and Hiring Virtual Staff
- Craigslist – An online classifieds sections and great starting place to look for staff.
- Elance and oDesk – Job-posting marketplaces for freelancing virtual assistants.
- VirtualStaffFinder – General Virtual Assistant matchmaking service (owned by Chris Ducker)
Project Management Solutions
I have personally used all of these services. For staff that will be helping you with legal work, I recommend just incorporating them into your case management software. I use MyCase and love it. (Here is a review of MyCase vs. Rocketmatter that I did a couple months ago). For other projects, you may want to use a tool like Asana (free) or Basecamp (subscription) to keep track of tasks that you delegate.
These are both very inexpensive ways to communicate with virtual staff. If you have a virtual law office, these will be especially helpful.
Document Sharing Tools
These are several tools that I use on a daily basis to stay productive and which save me a ton of time.
- 99designs – Online marketplace for graphic designers and their customers. Use this link to save 25% off your purchase.
- Fiverr – Quick and inexpensive outsourcing for one-time tasks
Online Marketing Tools
- Aweber – Email marketing that I use for Legal Marketing Made Easy
- Leadpages – Landing pages that actually work, I use this for both Legal Marketing Made Easy and my law firm
- LongTailPro – Keyword research, tracking and management
- Infusionsoft – Email marketing and much more. I use this for my law firm and love it.
- Google Adwords
Interested in Winning a Copy of Virtual Freedom or The E-Myth?
As discussed on the podcast, if you are interested in winning a free copy of Virtual Freedom by Chris Ducker, or The E-Myth by Michael Gerber, simply post a comment below letting me know why you think that you have “Superhero Syndrome” and what systems you are going to work on in the next 30 days to cure yourself of this ailment. [Offer expires at midnight, April 4, 2014]
- Follow Legal Marketing Made Easy on Twitter
- Post a review of the Legal Marketing Made Easy Podcast on iTunes and if you like what you heard today, then share with your friends on Twitter using this link.
Guy DiMartino says
Jim: First I have to say the quality of your podcast is really improving. Thanks for putting in the hard work.
I have come to the point where I can no longer prepare content, manage the content and actually practice law. I have just retained a company to design a new website and post my content on social media. I also have to look for a part-time VA to edit my videos and audio. I currently have 35 videos cut that I’ve not had time to edit and post.
Hi Guy – Thank you so much for your kind words. They mean a lot. And thank you for sharing – as I mentioned on the podcast, the problems you are facing are not uncommon in the legal industry. Just out of curiosity, is the company you retained going to draft your social media content, or just hope you post it?
Social media is such a huge time hog, but at the same time, is easily delegated (if done correctly that is), and is absolutely necessary in the world we live in right now.
So, what systems are you going to work on in the next 30 days so that you can help guide the part-time VA you will be using?
Exciting times – Let me know if there is anything I can do to help you.
Guy DiMartino says
The company I hired will be doing both posting my content that I prepare and create some infographics etc. The systems that I am currently working on include a script for PNCs and work flow for video and audio editing.
Thank again Guy – A hardcopy of Virtual Freedom is on it’s way to you. However, Amazon says that shipping is delayed a couple weeks so you may not receive it until after April 23rd. Just an FYI.
Let me know if there is anything else I can do to assist you.
Randy Ramirez says
Really enjoy the podcast!
My superhero syndrome has be believing I can manage to do it all. I know I need help & to do that need systems. The idea of writing down my systems seemed pretty daunting but with your tips I plan to implement the (at least) 30 min rule of writing down my system daily. Great way to begin.
Randy – Thank you for the comment! It’s always easy to take it one step at a time. Remember, Rome wasn’t built in a day.
What systems are you going to start with? Can you give an example?
Thank you and please let me know if there is anything at all that I can do to help you with your practice!
Hi Randy – You get the copy of the E-Myth. Great book – I hope you will enjoy it. Please send me your address to jim [at] legalmarketingmadeeasy [dot] com so I can get it shipped out to you.
And let me know if there is anything else I can do so assist you.