Today’s guest is Bob Burg. In the past year since I started this podcast, all of my guests to date have been lawyers that are unique in the manner in which they market themselves, and as a result have grown tremendously successful solo and/or small firm practices. Today’s podcast is a little bit different. Bob is not a lawyer – he is a business speaker, coach and author. He is someone that I look up to and admire greatly, not only because he has been so successful, but because of the way that he treats people and the manner in which he has achieved his success.
I chose to have Bob on for my 50th episode because I literally built my first law practice using the techniques he discusses in his book, Endless Referrals. As a result, I couldn’t think of anyone better to have on the show.
Bob is a truly caring and genuine human being. This interview was a lot of fun, I hope you enjoy it.
Right click here to download the mp3
Items Mentioned in the Podcast
- The Go-Giver, by Bob Burg
- Endless Referrals, by Bob Burg
- Adversaries into Allies, by Bob Burg
- Bob Burg’s website
- How to Master the Art of Selling, by Tom Hopkins
Bob’s Inspirational Quote
Bob had two inspirational quotes:
“Money is an echo of value. It’s the thunder to Value’s Lightning.” – Bob Burg, The Go-Giver
“Don’t have making money as your target. Your target should be serving others. When you hit the target, you’ll get a reward. That reward will be money, and you can do with that what you want. But, that’s not the target. The Target is serving others (bringing them value). Remember that…and you’ll make a lot of money.” – From an Early Mentor of Bob’s
Here’s an Overview of Bob’s book, The Go-Giver
CLICK HERE to order your copy of The Go-Giver
Things Discussed on Today’s Episode
- How Bob got started as an entrepreneur.
- What it means to “fail forward” and why this is important.
- A big mistake that Bob made in the late 90’s and what he learned from it.
- How shifting one’s focus from “getting” to “giving” will contribute to your success.
- Why being a Go-Getter is not necessarily a bad thing.
- The 5 Laws of Success that if people follow will make them enormously successful.
- Why traditional “selling” doesn’t always work, and what you can do to change your mindset.
- Common mistakes that people often make when talking about a “Go-Giver”.
- What a “MacGuffin” is and how you can use this term to build a better law firm.
- The one thing that people must remember to be successful.
- Follow Legal Marketing Made Easy on Twitter
- Post a review of the Legal Marketing Made Easy Podcast on iTunes and if you like what you heard today, then share with your friends on Twitter using this link.
Bob Burg says
Jim, very honored to be a guest on your show; doubly honored that it is your 50th show. Huge Congrats for reaching that landmark. Keep up the great work, my friend!!
The Honor was all mine Bob! You were a fantastic guest and I appreciate all your kind words.